Old September 2nd 10, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Stephen H. Fischer[_2_]

Default Windows Update just produced a BSOD (ati radeon HD 4300 Update) Vista 32 Bit

Hi,

If I did not have the headache I would not have selected the Video Driver
download. Going to W7 from Vista very soon, that hopefully will fix the HDTV
capture playback problem I am seeing and was part of my failed brain
mistake.

With Windows Update, it is suppose to be a hands off operation for the less
skilled.

So no uninstall of the old driver could be done by me, if needed it must be
done by Windows Update and I think it was as the screen resolution changed
to low res.

I still cannot understand:

But WHY does Windows Update offer a update that causes a BSOD?

Is everyone asleep at the switch?

SHF

"Chuck" wrote in message
On 8/31/2010 11:46 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I have a headache that caused me to not realize what was being
offered.

But WHY does Windows Update offer a update that causes a BSOD?

Is everyone asleep at the switch?

SHF

"KCB" wrote in message

"Stephen H. Fischer" wrote in message
Hi,

Windows Update just produced a BSOD (ati radeon HD 4300 Update) Vista
32 Bit after the screen got distorted, so watch this WU.

SHF

NEVER update your video card drivers from Windows Update. Get them
from the card manufacturer's web site, or directly from Nvidia or
ATI/AMD, or whoever made the chipset, if not one of those two. ALWAYS
uninstall the old drivers first.

It likely happened because the existing drivers were older than the
windows update driver. obviously, new ATI drivers are available.
The BSOD may have occurred because you did not uninstall the old driver
first, and revert to the MS SVGA driver before installing the update.