Old May 25th 04, 04:32 AM
Steve Byers

Thanks for the replies.

Both drives are configured as "cable select". Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve

"Tacitus" wrote in message .. .
"Steve Byers" wrote in message
m...
I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
problem.

I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve

Be careful of your master/slave configuration. Each IDE channel should
accomodate 2 devices, a master and a slave, on its ribbon cable. Generally
speaking, these devices (drives) have a jumper that defines the status. Your
old drive was undoubtedly a master. If you now make it a slave, you must
change its jumper accordingly. The new drive must also have a jumper that
makes it a master and allows for a slave connection.

Tac