Old April 16th 06, 12:29 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

"Jackie Green" k wrote in
message k...
sandman112 wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
ISTR that Xmas and Easter were the two days when large shops had to
close. Is this true?

However Tesco says it will open between 6 am and midnight on Easter.
Is this a typo? Must be? http://tinyurl.com/f9zb7

M&S is normally open on a Sunday but will be closed on Easter day.
http://tinyurl.com/z9yyv

Andy

--
Posted to UK groups (4 max) which probably use Sunday trading

sorry but is it just me that thinks this sort of thing is well
outdated ... dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that if i go up
the town tomorrow then tesco, adsa, morrisons currys, comet, homebase
will all be open, and if they weren't i'd be well ****ed

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening hours a

. Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on opening

. Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft)

Monday to Saturday - no restrictions
Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and 6pm
Easter Sunday - closed

from:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/sunday.htm

AHHH makes me happy

Q7. Why doesn't this protection extend to Scotland?
The protection was originally introduced by the Sunday Trading Act 1994,
which does not extend to Scotland. The Sunday Working (Scotland) Act 2003
provides protection for shop and betting workers in Scotland.

stupid bloody rules