Old January 26th 05, 06:13 PM
Ben Chilluns

Default Rubbing my hands in anticipation

Yup, I am itching to upgrade my slowest machine with an AMD64.
I'm anxiously waiting 'til the next price drop for AMD64 CPUs - which
I have read hereabouts will be after the Venice processor is
introduced either at the end of this month or early next month. I'm
not really interested in OC'ing, so I probably will shoot for a 3500
Winchester (heh, no pun intended there...really!).

Also, I definitely want to be able to raid my 4 existing 80 GB
parallel ATA drives - probably just RAID 0, tho. Earlier, I was
thinking of using a promise sx4000 raid board to do some dedicated
raid 5 for a bit of data security, as it just means a loss of 1 drive
for the parity checking. However, in order to have good performance
with that setup, the Promise sx4000 raid card should be in a 64 bit
slot. That would then limit my options somewhat for mobos - so I
guess I have pared my plan back to just raid 0, which many mobo's
handle quite well, and will swear a solemn oath to backup my system
more frequently.

So, anybody have reco's or such on mobo's that I should look at?
Thanks.