Old October 22nd 17, 02:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default Power Supply Failure?

Too predictably, the piece of garbage Bestec power supply seems to have taken out the motherboard. This happens all too often. Every time I get a system with a Bestec power supply, I replace it with another, ANY brand, and put the Bestec safely in a pile or recyclables... Ben

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 3:56:23 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
5.223:

Hi,

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, circa 2012, running VistaHP
x86, belonging to my 93 year-old mother-in-law. She called me to day
and said "It's broken".

The power button does nothing. When I hold in the power button,
there's no sound whatsoever. The fan in the back of the power supply
does not spin, but the little green light on the back of the power
supply does glow green, When unplugged, the light goes out. Other
than that, nothing makes a sound, and nothing else occurs.

Here's the power supply:

https://postimg.org/image/4hdxxqbwkr/

Sound like a PS issue?

TIA

After swapping out the old power supply for a brand new one, I had my
fingers crossed, but no luck. Next, I suspected the on/off button, so I
jumped, but still no luck. BTW, the first thing I did was to look for
bulging caps, but all looked perfectly fine.

This is as far as I'm willing to go to get this thing running again, I
did salvage the memory, the CD and the hard drive (both SATA). There's
really no information on this hard drive that's not also on grandma's
Win7 laptop, but I will do a comparison. There were no accessory cards.

I'll see what grandma wants to do next. I do have a Dell E520 desktop
running WinXP SP3 that she is welcome to have.

Thanks to all that replied.