Old January 9th 08, 02:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Default Install OS on new hard drive without media slice

Ranish partition manager is one way. It is free and easy to find the download
with Google... Ben Myers

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:17:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 8, 5:03 pm, "Christopher Muto" wrote:
i would suggest that you partition and format the drive as a bootable disk
while it is in the external enclousure and then create a folder call i386
and copy the contents of your windows xp cd to that folder. then put this
disk in the ls400 and once booted run c:\i386\setup.exe
alternatively, get yoru hands on a usb cd drive and boot from that with the
widows xp cd..

"wfromoz" wrote in message

I just got an LS400 with no hard drive (these come with no internal
optical/floppy drive). I have an extra new drive that I'd like to
install. Unfortunately I have no appropriate external floppy or cd-rom
drive. I do have, however, a hard drive enclosure that I've attached
to my Evo running Windows XP. The hard drive's recognized and I can
format it - assign a drive letter of E: or above - and partition it.

Is there a website or faq on how to set up a new hard drive under this
circumstance? I think I can make a small partition to hold the
contents of my Windows 2000 Pro CD if I can somehow make this drive
bootable and able to change drive letters.

Any and all suggestions will be more than appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. The part that stumps me is formatting the drive
as a bootable disk under Windows XP. The formatting part I understand,
and I see how to make a partition active, but how do I make it
bootable and able to recognize the 2nd partition with the setup files?