Old January 9th 08, 01:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default Install OS on new hard drive without media slice

i would suggest that you partition and format the drive as a bootable disk
while it is in the external enclousure and then create a folder call i386
and copy the contents of your windows xp cd to that folder. then put this
disk in the ls400 and once booted run c:\i386\setup.exe
alternatively, get yoru hands on a usb cd drive and boot from that with the
widows xp cd..

"wfromoz" wrote in message
I just got an LS400 with no hard drive (these come with no internal
optical/floppy drive). I have an extra new drive that I'd like to
install. Unfortunately I have no appropriate external floppy or cd-rom
drive. I do have, however, a hard drive enclosure that I've attached
to my Evo running Windows XP. The hard drive's recognized and I can
format it - assign a drive letter of E: or above - and partition it.

Is there a website or faq on how to set up a new hard drive under this
circumstance? I think I can make a small partition to hold the
contents of my Windows 2000 Pro CD if I can somehow make this drive
bootable and able to change drive letters.

Any and all suggestions will be more than appreciated.