Old February 26th 09, 07:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Default Failure of keyboard and mouse on a Compaq DeskPro EN.

Hi!

I would have to study to see how the keyboard works in
setup. *The mouse is not used until later.

It wouldn't surprise me if they simply used the BIOS at first and
later loaded a driver to handle both mouse and keyboard. I've never
run Native Oberon, or programmed in it, so I can't say for sure.

It seems odd that the failure of a network based time/date
synchronization process to complete would not generate some kind of
error. (Again: maybe it does...I still haven't run Native Oberon to
see what it's about.)

I can't say that the installation is finished! *I proceeded to connect
a CF card as slave on the primary IDE and found nothing but
problems.

Is there a master device present? It's been my experience that the
later model Deskpro systems will tolerate a device configured only as
a slave on an IDE channel, but that's not "the right way" to do it.

Using CF cards over PATA/IDE can be a whole other can of worms. I've
been down that road with an IBM NetVista 8364. That system actually
has a CF card slot on the motherboard. It's intended for use only as a
means to back up the BIOS and CMOS settings, but a compatible CF card
plugged into it will show up as a primary master IDE device. It is
bootable. The idea was to use the CF card as a boot device and have a
mostly silent, low power usage and low profile computer.

I found that most cards worked fine, but a Kingston 64MB card did not.

(and if for any reason you'd be interested in seeing this setup:
http://greyghost.mooo.com/netvista98/ has pictures)

William