Old August 9th 10, 04:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

Default gx240 tower

On Aug 9, 11:24*am, Christopher Muto wrote:
mc wrote:
On Aug 8, 2:07 am, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:
Hi!

There are also USB 2.0 cards with VIA chips, but I have not tried... Ben
Myers
The few Acer USB chipsets I've seen were pretty bad, only meeting a very
loose definition of working on most operating systems. They worked the best
on Windows, but I never pushed 'em as hard as I did on the other systems. At
USB 1.x rates they worked fine. At USB 2.0 rates they turned into garbage.

The VT6202 was VIA's first USB 2.0 chipset, and it has some problems under
*ix operating systems with maintaining connections at differing data rates
across differing ports. Other than that, and the fact that it is somewhat
slower than the Intel USB 2.0 implementation, I haven't had too many
complaints.

VT6212 is supposed to be an improvement on the 6202, focusing mainly on
performance. As far as I know it did that in some ways and fell short in
others. I remember the ones I used being more stable with mixed USB 1.x and
2.0 devices.

The VT6214 is a 6212 that supposedly allows for the placement of another
device (SATA, Ethernet, Firewire--all usually also from VIA) on the same
board, for a multifunction card. I don't think it has any special PCI-PCI
bridge or arbitration logic on it, as every card I've seen appears to have
the PCI bus directly connected to both ICs. Some motherboards have serious
problems with this idea.

I know I've seen boards with a Silicon Image (!!) USB chipset onboard, but I
have no idea about them. Never got a close look at one.

If you want a combo board (USB+1394), Adaptec and Orange Micro both made
some nice ones--HiNT PCI-PCI bridge, NEC USB 2.0 and a Texas Instruments
1394 IC...basically the best of everything in my opinion. These show up on
eBay now.

William

Thanks Ben and William for the info. William the power supply from
Athena was designed for the dell systems and seems to work well in
both the dime 4550 and the gx 240. The cards I tried were Ultra and
some cheapie from compusa that only says controller card on the box.
So I will see if I can find a NEC and try it out. If you see one that
you think might work perhaps you could post the site. *Ben what is it
about the gx240 chasiss that does not work with the 775? Is it some
type of grounding issue with the power supply? mc

here is a quality card with nec chip set...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815104216
if you click on the photo and zoom you can see it has the nec chip and
the reviews confirm that it worked when others did not.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Christopher, if anyone is interested this is the power supply
I'm using
http://pcpowerzone.com/apmps3atx55e.html
and it does list some compatibilty with the xps 400, 410, and 420.
Which MB generation is this?