Old January 8th 09, 02:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Jan Panteltje

Default Intel corp: computer OWNERS are the ENEMY and we must protect ourchips from them.

On a sunny day (Thu, 8 Jan 2009 06:33:46 -0800 (PST)) it happened
wrote in
:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/06/2132247

(notice that they call the locked down execution part "TXT". I don't
trust anyone who has to resort to [W][O][R][D][G][A][M][E][S] to try
to sneak stuff like this under the public radar.

From the same page http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?s...7&cid=26351915
I am a programmer, and in particular I have studied the Trusted
Platform Technical Specification documentation. All 332 pages of dense
technicaleese. There is one particular page I would like to cite. In
the TCPA Main TCG Architecture v1_1b.pdf on page 277 the documentation
comes right out and announces the fact it is designed to be secure
against "rogue Owners".

Now there is an argument that is in favour of this idea,
not a day goes by without some idiot doing a web attack on
my server, so lock everybody out and it will be safe??? ;-)
Of course, in reality it is a dumb idea.
1) it will never work (will be hacked).
2) there are many kind of 'owners', some program
for a living, and some need to be close to the hardware.
Luckily we have competition, Vista flopped, Linux
made big inroads (netbooks, Asus quickstart), so
Intel may well shoot itself in the foot with this.
I will not buy such a beast period, even if I have to go to use
something completely different, like arm or PPC, or whatever,
I want control of my hardware, I like to tinker with it.