Old July 4th 07, 06:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default Compaq Deskpro (probably Mainboard failure)

"hunterke" wrote in message

hunterke wrote:
Hi there!

I just got a pretty old Compaq Deskpro config, really nothing

special, approxx 1,3 GHz, 128 RAM, everything else integrated, and
with a small HDD.

the box wasn'tg opened, so the computer was untouched for like five

years.

i tried to turn it on, but nothing happened...
the led on the mainbord is on, so the power supply is OK (I tried

another one too...)

the cables leading to the turn on button seem to be OK too, cuz i

tried to connect the jumpers manually, and still nothing happened.

i don't know what the problem is, the PC is too old for a

complaint; and I really dont know what know.

i mean can i fix it somehow? probably not, but i'm courious, maybe

i didn't try everything...

well, I had these things in mind
too.

pushing the button has NO effect on any component of the mainboard, or
anything (the led is on when I connect the PS) -the other supply is
100% OK, because I'm using in the other PC on a daily basis.

The slide is OK as well (I've put it in the other position, and back
again, but nothing. /it wasn't connecten then of course/)

Are you replying to me ?
( you keep replying to your original question)

Why now you say 2 pc's ? And the other one is a Compaq Deskpro too ?
so you have TWO of these Compaq Deskpro's ? one works and one doesn't ?
If you don't have identical boxes, power supplies, then the fact that a ps
works in one and not the other doesn't mean that all parts of the PS are
good - just that the second might not need one voltage that the other does
need.
Again I'll cite experience with PC's I've worked on:
Symptom - DEAD. ( With PS "A" in there). The internal LED is on.
Try another PS ( not identical one "B" ) - same thing.
Put PS A in a second box - worked.
Put PS from B in second box - worked.
Replaced A with identical PS and it worked in the dead PC - so SOME part
of A's output IS used by the otherwise dead PC when it was not needed by
the second PC. This was especially true when 20/24 pin power supplies were
in transition. ( Maybe your vintage ?) On some, the 4 pin connector
plugged right into the motherboard - not as part of the 24 pin connector.
If so, then it needed that type. Using the 20 -24 pin adapter in the
second box worked fine because the motherboard in the second got its
voltages wired directly on the board ( maybe one etch goes to 4 pinouts
whereas on box A each needs a good output ??).

Unplug it and pop out the battery ( as Matthew recommended) with original
PS in there.
Good luck.