Old December 10th 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default 5 1/4" floppy drive question

"Jim" wrote in message
I have a lot of 5 1/4" floppy disks I would like to copy to CD-R. These
are mostly Quickbasic and PDS 7.1 libraries and source code and such, and
are not generally around any more.

I do not currently have a computer able to read these disks, but have a
couple of 5 1/4" drives w/cables I have saved from computers (mostly 486's

suspect) I have salvaged in the past.

Can I install one of these in a WIN98 computer? I have a couple of these
that were discards/replacements that I grabbed, and they all have 3 1/2"
drives which I don't particularly need. Will a 5 1/4" drive work in place
of the 3 1/2"? What do I need to do to get this working?

Win98 can easily handle a 5.25" floppy

just install it and set the bios the the correct parameters (ie: 1.2 meg or
360 k)