Old December 4th 03, 07:22 AM
scsisam

Even if you are using DAS/NAS system, these days there are software that can
make block device appear as fibre-channel disk.b FC SANs based on 1GBps
technology is really cheap and plus you have ebay to get deal on 1Gbps FC
HBAs
I think falconstor.com has the software?? but will be very expensive. There
is also this little known mayastor software that does the same. The
website is http://www.pavitrasoft.com/mayastor/ and they seem to have
software available for download without any harassing sales call.
cheers

"WipeOut" wrote in message ...
Nik Simpson wrote:

Budget I would estimate at around £1500 for the starting system with
three 250GB or 300GB drives and expansion capacity to do to 6 or 8
drives.. So I think NAS is about the only option at that budget and
even that may be pushing it..

Yup, 1500 quid isn't going to go far, I'd see if you can find a 1U

server
chassis with four hot swap drive bays, there are a bunch of them around,
then add motherboard & controller to taste.

Yea, Thats what I thought as well.. Maybe it will work as a solution for
12-18 months by which time hopefully the company is off the ground and
making some money at which time I can look at the more enterprise level
options..

Looks like the 3ware controllers are about the best option for what I am
after and like you said a 1U or 2U server.. The rackmount chassis on
their own are quite pricey and thats before adding all the internals..

Thanks for your thoughts and comments..