Old February 8th 04, 10:09 PM
* * Chas

"kony" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:57:18 +0000, Anton Gysen
wrote:

This morning I recieved a 256mb module of Spectek DDR333

(non-ECC), and
as soon as I got into Windows, the machine would crash.

Sometimes it
didn't even make it into Windows. I changed the speed of

it from 333mhz
down to 250mhz and it's running fine at the moment (I

haven't had a
chance to test it extensively in games or run MemTest86

on it, yet).

I will be sending it back to the place I got it, though!

Apparently
Spectek memory is made by Micron (see
http://www.spectek.com/menus/about.asp) and it's the

stuff which has
failed testing for Crucial memory so they pass it off as

this Spectek ****.

Before I send it back, though, I'll make sure it's not

the fact that I'm
running 2 different makes of DDR333 alongside it (TwinMOS

and Samsung)
so I'll take the TwinMOS and Samsung modules out and try

it at 333mhz
with just the Spectek (I hate the name already).

No, it did not "fail testing for crucial", it's not

"****", it's
simply the lower grade memory, which can't run at the

faster timings.
More often than not, when a motherboard won't run the

lower grade
memory, it's a flaw with the motherboard, not the memory.

Many boards
require higher-spec memory to run at lower spec settings

to compensate
for that motherboard's design, especially when multiplie

modules are
used.

You're running 3 modules... it was pretty likely you'd

have problems
with most modules you try. Many boards required lowering

memory bus
speed or relaxing the memory timings to run 3 modules. In

other
words, it's "almost" always better to use the least number

of modules
possible, though that's 2 if you're running a dual-channel

board.

Good points but there is some real junk, untested memory on
the market that wont work in fussy systems.

Three memory slots create real electrical problems for
motherboard engineers (Read they are too cheap to add some
additional Caps) !

Intel reduced the slots from 3 to 2 on some of their mobos
for this reason. Some of the early DIMM mobos only had 1
memory slot.
--
Chas. (Drop spamski to E-mail
me)