Old August 23rd 04, 07:17 PM
JAD

ooops missed part of that...........try and boot from the CD-ROM
(XP) and do a repair install

"JAD" wrote in message
won't boot from a dos disk? 98 or Me or
something...www.bootdisk.com....... if it won't boot to dos then

its
not a "software problem". Since safe mode won't boot, the restore
point thing doesn't apply, as its not loaded nor is it using a

restore
point to boot currently. Since it won't boot to SM, I would say
possibly a memory problem or maybe a HD malfunction. Can you run
scandisk from dos?

"!Allen Lasting" wrote in message
Hi,

My friend's wife's computer started acting funny a couple of weeks

ago, and
it gradually got worse. From talking on the phone it sounded like

virus
in a restore point, but by the time he got around to looking at

it,
it would
no longer boot at all. Somehow she had managed to get it to boot

and could
get some online time before it rebooted so she just used it that

way
until
it stopped booting altogether.
So now it's on my dining room table.

Here's what I did so far:
Tried normal boot. No Go.
Tried to get it to come up in Safe Mode. No Go.
Tried to get it to come up from last known good restore point. No

go.
Set it to boot from the A drive and got to a dos prompt with a dos

system
disk.
Got vcleaner on a floppy from Grissoft's web site, and tried to

run
it. No
luck, it won't run from a dos prompt.
I have an old 500 MB hard drive with win98 on it. Took the XP

drive
out,
and set the system up using win98.
Put the XP drive back in as a Slave hoping I could run Vcleaner on

the slave
drive. No luck because
the XP drive doesn't show up in My Computer. I guess it's because

98 is Fat
32 and XP is NTFS so 98 can't see it.

Which is the end of the line for me. I don't know what else to

do.
Can
anybody give me some advice on how to
proceed? Due to the time involved in re-loading XP, all her

software, and
loosing all her data files, I'd rather
fix it if I can, or take it to somebody who could, if I can't so I

don't
have to deal with "you lost all my files!"

TIA for any ideas,

Al