Old February 17th 09, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
kony

Default ClearType font smoothing is not working correctly

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 04:47:44 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
wrote:

I don't think that this is the issue, at least the symptoms
are not consistent with this being the issue. On some things
ClearType font smoothing is working perfectly, on other
things black text is appearing with red edges. I know how
ClearType works, (sub pixel rendering) but, in the past
black text always appeared to the naked eye as being purely
black.

Using an inferior connection cable would seem to produce a
signal strength problem, and the actual case appears to be a
(sub pixel rendering) pixel alignment problem. Issues such
as this would seem to be related to the unconventional
aspect ratio. If (for example) the display data is
graphically stretched (after it was rendered) to accommodate
the wider screen, this would be expected to cause the
precise problem that I am having.

I have another ViewSonic monitor that has no problem at all
using the out-of-the-box cable.

As others have written, you need to make sure the display
adapter is using the monitor's native resolution.

You should also try the auto-adjust feature on the monitor's
menus, through it's OSD.

Otherwise, consider just trying a different cord...
considering I have one of these monitors and the original
cord did cause problems while a different analog cord came
much closer to what would've been easily accomplished with
DVI instead.