Old December 29th 15, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.windows7.general
Ant

Default Can't have both encrypted Mac's HFS+ & MS W7 EE SP1's BitLocker NTFS?

OK, I messed around with this and figured the quickest way to reproduce
this issue between platforms after playing with issue more during my
free time.

I had problems erasing everything on the HDD with Mac OS X's Disk
Utility. It wouldn't even let me its remove partitions. I had to use
Windows 7's Disk Manage to manually delete all the (partition/volume)s
except its 200 MB EFI System Partition (not changeable?). I also noticed
it cannot make multiple partitions in a single shot like in Mac OS X's
Disk Utility since I had to make a big volume, shrink, make a smaller
volume, repeat.

Anyways, I used Mac OS X's Disk Utility to make 3 new partitions (HFS+ &
2 (ex or not)FAT [no NTFS option]). Everything looked fine when I wrote
text files and checked on both systems. Next, I tell Mac OS X's Disk
Utility to format that HFS+ with encryption. Everything was still OK in
Mac. I go to Windows and check, and things started having problem like
not seeing a FAT partition, files, etc. It seems like Apple is messing
up the partitions.

I am going to reverse in creating partitions manually and slowly with W7
first, go to Mac's Disk Utility to format an encrypted HFS, recheck,
BitLocker encrypt a NTFS partition, and then recheck to see their
results.

TO BE CONTINUED...

In comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage Ant wrote:
Hi.

I'm having problems with my 2 MS partitions in my external USB 2 TB WD
Green HDD. I wanted to have 2 encrypted partitions (W7 EE SP1's
BitLocker NTFS and HFS[Time Machine and manual Mac files]) and an
unencrypted FAT (tried both FAT32 and exFAT). I had no problems
(mak/creat)ing them.

The problem is that Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite) thinks I have 2 FAT
drives (only 1 should exist while other is NTFS (assuming cannot be read
due to its BitLocker encryption which is fine to me)). If I connect it
to a W7 laptop/notebook, then only FAT can be seen.

I tried reformatting the encrypted BitLocker NTFS to unencrypted FAT in
Mac OS X's Disk Utility which can be seen in Mac, but W7 does't see it.
I tried letting W7's Disk Management make this unallocated partition to
a new simple volume (NTFS or exFAT -- tried both), but it said "The
operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to
dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be
able to stat installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s)
(except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?" I
tried Yes and its Virtual Disk Manager said "The operation is not
supported by the object."

I tried deleting all partitions and told Mac OS X's Disk Utility to
recreate the 3 partitions (unencrypted HFS+ & 2 MS FAT partitions) from
scratch. Everything was fine when I checked between machines. I told W7
to format a FAT partition into NTFS with BitLocker encryption. After it
was done, I rechecked with Mac OS X. Partitions were fine (yes, I know
Mac can't read BitLocker encryptions so that partition stays hidden). I
told Mac OS X to do a very long encrypted Time Machine backup and
manually copy some files into this encrypted HFS+ partition for hours.
After that, I went back to W7 and it can't see my BitLocker partition
(unallocated)!

http://i.imgur.com/tJ5wWz6.gif and http://i.imgur.com/KBwAEct.gif and
for my 2 screen (shot/capture)s from both machine with the same external
USB HDD connected.

What's going on? Does having 2 different encrypted partitions not work
with each other? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

--
Quote of the Week: "Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia --
national guard... That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war