Old June 25th 03, 04:56 PM
Ed_

In article , "news.verizon.net" says...

I'm upgrading my system peice by piece, just popped in a Biostar M7VIW w/ an
AMD 2000+ XP chip, running fine, now I'm looking at video cards. I can't
spend a lot, got a baby on the way, and a 5 year old who eats like a horse
and grows out of shoes and clothes overnight. PCGamer magazine recommended
the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra as a good, reliable DX9 card and I found it at
Pricewatch.com for around $64. Then I noticed that it's an AGP 8x card, and
my motherboard's AGP slot is 4x. Could I, or even *should* I put an 8x
board in a 4x slot? I could get a highly recommended (a few years ago
costing around $200) GeForce MX 440 128 4x board for around $50. Would it
be better to stick with what the slot was designed for? I think it would be
nice to have the DX9 support, but if it's detrimental to the system...

TIA

Are you real sure that the FX 5200 is an Ultra? The only reason I question this
is that the Ultra 5200 is usually twice that price and the FX 5200 Not-An-Ultra
64m is around the $64.00 price range. I have the regular 5200 and it's just
Nvidia's new name for a MX 440. If that card is indeed an Ultra 5200 then it is
a really nice deal for $64. Just for a guide...

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactor...alog=48&DEPA=0

Ed