Old January 31st 04, 04:43 PM
Ian

Lee Blaver wrote in message ...
Ian wrote:

snip
The card is faulty, that's clear - I
think I'm beat and it looks as though I'll have to write off the £70 I
spent on it. XFX / Pine will not be receiving any more of my custom
(what I really want them to do I'll not repeat).

What is the position with regard to consumer protection laws and
component parts anyway, is it the same as for "complete" items?
Would the card count as a complete unit in its own right?

I'd be looking for the retailer to sort this out.
It's too easy to give up when it's "just" £70, I reckon they assume that
most people will not pursue things further when only small amounts are
involved.
The threat of Trading Standards and small claims may be enough, even if
you don't intend perusing it

Lee

The retailer was Maplin UK (Pilgrim Street, Newcastle upon Tyne -
being a Mackem [Sunderland], I don't really like buying things from
Geordies [Newcastle] anyway). I bought the card on 16th October 2003
(or thereabouts).

The fault as described did not show up until December. Now Maplin
clearly state on their receipts that they will not take responsability
for ny item after 14 days - that's ********, as there's the statutory
28 period under UK law.

However, as the fault did not show up until December, Maplin seem to
be out of the equation (though I'm going to have a go on Monday).

Hence I went directly to the manufacturers (or rather Pine / XFX's
local agents in the UK, Propellorhead), who to be honest have been
whilst not obstructive, have done the minimum necessary to help me.
They took the card back and reported no problems.

Again, this cannot be true, as I've had the card in two different
configurations, one of which it refuses to work on (initially
intermittent, now continuous) and the other where it's an intermittent
fault.

The bloke at Propellorhead then admitted that they only test the cards
on XFX motherboards. Hmmmmmmmm, not good policy.

It's not "just" £70 pounds and me being the skinflint I am, it p**ses
me off. But I'm in the middle of a heavy period of revision
preceeding some very big exams at the beginning of March, so this I
can do without. I may have to give up if Maplin won't help me,
because I simply don't have the time to pursue a small claims action
against them.

Ian