Old February 11th 09, 08:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
msdos622wasfun

Default Crysis -- unoptimized?

Augustus wrote:

"msdos622wasfun" wrote in message
Well, now that I have a GTX 280, I tried the Crysis demo, and I'm
getting between 30 and 55 FPS on average (sometimes less, sometimes
more) with most of the eye candy turned on at 1400 x 1050. That's
perfectly playable, of course, but almost everyone these days is
looking to get more out of that title with their current rig.

It looks terrific, but what's up with this game? Are we to believe
that it was poorly coded, or is it simply such a stunning piece of
software visually that it's bound to scare the hell out of even the
most modern GPU? After all, it's not like we have access to the
actual source code, so we can't know for sure how unoptimized it is.

It's funny, because in my opinion, a game like COD4:MW (I recently
installed the demo) looks pretty much just as good, but unlike
Crysis I usually get at least 80 FPS in it, sometimes much higher
(and that's maxed out on my 22" monitor).

Ok...you have a GTX 280 and it gets 40fps or so in the Crysis Demo at
high settings. What system is this running on? How much memory, the
model and type of CPU and the video drivers and OS being used would
help.

No problem, I can provide that:

* Intel Core 2 Quad (Q9300) @ 3.30 GHz
* EVGA nForce 780i mainboard
* 2 GB DDR2 800 RAM
* Sound Blaster Audigy 4
* Vista Ultimate 32-bit
* Display driver version: 178.24

Obviously, I'm pretty sure I'm using DX10. And oh, the GPU of my GTX
280 is overclocked as well @ 665 MHz.

I started discussing this on Guru3D.com, and I was kind of criticized
for suggesting that CoD4 looked pretty much just as good as Crysis. I
don't know, maybe it was an impulsive judgment. IMHO, they're both
impressive. And don't get me wrong -- Crysis looks amazing. We
probably can't escape the fact that part of the reason it is such a
challenge for many systems to run is because it's so incredibly
detailed.

I found this amusing ... I decided to totally max out the Crysis demo:
1680 x 1050 (my monitor's maximum native resolution), full AA, Very
High Everything. The result? 10 - 20 FPS depending on what was going
on. Hehehe ... I actually found it to be fairly tolerable, but it goes
without saying that I wouldn't describe it as super smooth. Still, it
looked absolutely breathtaking.

Now, take Unreal Tournament 3, for example. That's currently my
favorite game, and I think it looks great. A card like the GTX 280
handles it with ease ... heck, my 9800 GTX (my previous card) was
pretty much the same.

--
Erich K.