Old December 24th 08, 04:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default Advice on purchasing Inspiron 1525 laptop

i would recommend that you check out the vostros 1510. it is essentially
the same size to the inspiron 1525 but is a hair lighter, better build
quality, and comes without any bloatware. the vostros 1510 is available
with a dedicated video card as opposed to the inspiron 1525 that only has
integrated video offered. the inspiron 1525 does have a better optional
integrated camer if that is important (2.0 vs 1.3 mp) and the inspiron comes
in colors where the vostros is only black. they have the same basic display
but the vostros has multiple display upgrade options. they are also similar
in price for similar configurations. you will only see it on the 'small
business' site but anyone can buy from the 'small business' division. a
final word of caution about the inspiron 1525 is that it is sometimes
offered with a megar 4 cell battery that has a very short run time. often
your will find a 'bargain' configration that includes this battery. you
want at least the 6 cell battery. the vostros 1510 minimum battery is a 6
cell one and the 8 cell one sticks out the back edge of the machine (a trade
off between size/weight and batter life). good luck.

wrote in message
Hello All,

I wish to purchase a new laptop and chose Inspiron 1525 as it seems to
be an affordable one with a Pentium processor.

1) What is your budget?

35K-45K in Indian rupees

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of
your country as an indicator.
India, Asia

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
No

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this
notebook?
Programming. Will be using the machine for 10-12hours/day on weekends
and holidays for development and learning purposes.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places,
leaving it on your desk or both?
Both, but travel won't be a lot.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of
games?
Hardly playing games
8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
2 should be fine as wherever I will travel I can take the adapter with
me
9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before
purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I am located in India, Asia where there are no Dell physical outlets
so I have to purchase after seeing it online.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
XP
Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

a. WXGA - 1280x800 or occasionally 1280x768; For people who like big
text and icons that are easy to read. Less stuff fits on the screen,
which translates into more scrolling.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy
screen?
Non glossy

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Not much, more important is cost, life(how long can it work without
issues)
14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this
laptop to last?
Thinking of buying within few weeks and want it to last 7+ years(if
not more)

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want
a SSD drive?
160GB should be sufficient.
16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner
or Blu-Ray drive?
CDRW/DVD ROM is fine.

How experienced you are with computers?

Fairly experienced with them, but disappointed that my Inspiron 1100
lasted only 5 years. Had a electrical surge which damaged the
motherboard.

I gather from Dell reviews at
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...&s=dhs#reviews

that it gets up heated a lot, quickly.

Should I choose another model?

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Thanks