Old November 11th 05, 12:30 AM
DaveW

Default Linksys Broadband Firewall Router - But does it have a firewall ? ? ? ?

Yes, the Linksys is a 'hardware" firewall, which acts in a different way
than a software firewall. Ideally everyone with a broadband connection
should use BOTH. The hardware firewall prevents snooper packets on the
internet from identifying the various inbound ports on your computer and
downloading evil software that can take control of your system, etc. (Bots.)
The software firewall works such that if you download an e-mail or visit a
WWW site that contains a Trojan or other malware that is allowed to download
(note: the hardware firewall would NOT stop this type of activity), the
software firewall will prevent the malware from connecting Outwards and
sending your private information/data from your computer to their
pre-designated web site.

--
DaveW

----------------
"Starz_Kid" wrote in message
m...
Hello Group, I've had this Linksys Firewall Router lying around for about
year and decided to install due to an increase (??) in virus attacks on
the
Adelphia network...

The model is: BEFSX41

I installed the router A.O.K. and it seemed to work...! Then I looked in
the package and found this CD-r with a copy of Nortons Internet Security /
with the Norton's Software Firewall.

Well, I thought... if the Router has a hardware firewall... WHY would I
need
a software firewall ? ? ?

So......... my question is does the Linksys router have a hardware
firewall. And why would they package a software firewall ????

Do I really need the Norton's Software as it crashed my computer after I
installed it... as a matter of fact, the install did not even complete..!

Anyone.....!

Starz_Kid...