Old August 10th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Roger Hamlett

Default unknown hardware

"Injun-ear" wrote in message
But how can I determine what it is?? I look in Device Manager and it
just
shows me a question mark. No idea what it is. Properties don't tell me
anything. If there was a program that told us what the device is, then
we
could look for drivers.

In XP (rather than Vista), the 'properties' page, has a vendor ID, and
device instance ID number. When I played with Vista a little while ago, it
too gave the ID's. With the vendor ID, you can immediately 'narrow' the
field a lot, and with both, you should be able to match the numbers used
in XP, to identify the device.
The 'classic' devices that give this sort of problem in XP, are the WDM
drivers for Vivo TV cards.

"Injun-ear" wrote in message
I'm playing with Windows Vista Beta 2 on my A8N5X mobo running an
Athlon dual-core 4200 and 1 GB ram.
Using the 64-bit version.

Vista keeps wanting to install a driver for some unknown hardware.
Have no idea what it could be since everything is working. I'm
triple-booting with WinXP, XP-64 and Vista-64. I don't get this notice
in XP-64 or XP-Pro. Anyone else have this and know what it might be?

Best Wishes