Old January 23rd 16, 03:35 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
>>>Ashton Crusher

Default Moving HDD to new identical computer

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 09:55:28 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 1/23/2016 8:23 AM, edevils wrote:
On 23/01/2016 01:39, Ashton Crusher wrote:
My 2 week old Dell XPS developed some intermittent malady and even
with a new motherboard and power supply the Dell Tech was not able to
get it running again.

Background: (you can skip to Question if you want)

[...snip...]

Question:

So Dell is supposed to send me a brand new computer. Here's my
question. The first computer had a regular 2T Hard drive as a "D"
drive. It had a M.2 form factor SSD as the "C" drive.

Since I have already installed all my programs on the original new
computers C drive, and all my data on the original new computers D
drive I'm thinking I should just swap in the drives from the original
new computer that broke into the new one Dell is sending. The
computer is supposed to be identical.

I'm not worried about the D drive but If I do that will it somehow
cause a problem with the C drive since the "asset tag" numbers, which
the tech said get "put into the motherboard" are going to be
different? Also I presume my Win10 was validated on the original
computer and now it's going to be in a different computer. I hate to
reinstall all the software on the new C drive but I don't want to
create some other problem either.

Counter-Question: Did they say you can keep the SSD drive? Isn't it part
of the "bad" computer that is going to be replaced with a brand new
computer?

I think I would get rid of everything from the new computer CPU, hard
drive, etc.

You don't know what is wrong with the new computer, therefore you do not
know what caused the unit to fail. What if there is a defect in the
hard drive that caused a failure in one of the other system of the new
computer. If that is so and you keep the new drive, you are risking
the replacement and any computer you use it in.

There will be those who explain why this can not be, BUT is it worth the
hassle and the future risk to your computing pleasure?

That is one of my concerns but the way the computer failed doesn't
seem HD related to me. For the D drive (a rotating classic drive) for
example, the computer sometimes started fine and other times would not
even start to start even without the D drive connected. So that would
see to rule out the D drive as the reason for it not being able to
fire up. For the C drive, the SSD drive, when the computer did fire
up it booted perfectly. I guess the C drive could be intermittently
the problem but I don't see how it being bad would literally stop the
computer from even powering on. This isn't that the computer powers
on and gets a BSOD,.. when it worked, it worked perfectly, when it
didn't work it simply refused to "accept" the fact that it was turned
on, it acted like a dead power supply.