Old May 5th 06, 05:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EP

Mainboard Upgradebility
Socket/Slot : XU1
Upgrade interface : Slot 1
Supported Speed : 1000 MHz (or more)
Supported Voltage : 2.0V

According to your software, it *should* be able to accept a 1Ghz CPU (either
a Slot1 Coppermine, or a Socket 370 CPU running on SLOT1/S370 adapter card)

Perhaps even a 1.4Ghz Tualatin Core P3. You might need a BIOS update in both
cases.

I recently upgraded an old P90 (single rail voltage) wich couldn't use
faster than P100 to a AMD k6-2 450 CPU. It came with a Powerleap adapter
(www.powerleap.com). Runs like a champ.

Have a look at http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp

It will probably work, my IBM machine was not on the compatibility list for
my adapter yet it still works.

(Ebay is a good start to buy those adapters

On a side note, the CPU might not run at its optimal speed, since the FSB is
at 66MHZ on your machine.

--

(\_ _/)

"fcga1976" wrote in message
m...
Hi, I have a Compaq Deskpro EP/C466 with an Intel 810 chipset. It is a
Celeron 466MHz with 256MB RAM. I am looking on the net about upgrading
the processor to a Pentiun III but couldn't find anything. It is too
difficult because it is an "old" computer.

Can I put a Pentium III processor on it? What is the maximum speed, if
is the case of an upgrade?

Here are the information on the hardware (from PC Wizard 2006):

------------------------------
Processor : Intel Celeron
General Information
Type : Intel Celeron