Old February 16th 09, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default Win XP not letting me view hidden folders.....

geronimo wrote:

I am the main user on my PC which I built. I need to edit a CFG
file which is in the hidden folder APPLICATIONS DATA (a folder
within Documents and settings) So I use the usual method to unhide
hidden folders, by going to TOOLS/Folder Options/View, and
clicking the radio button for "show hidden files...." I click
APPLY follewed by OK. The CFG file which must be there does not
appear. If I go through the same procedure, I find that the HIDE
FILES radio button is again selected....it didn't really change!
I cannot even get APPLICATIONS DATA to appear (I think by default
it is a hidden folder), but I was able to get around that by
opening explorer and tying the path up in the command line. I am
using Avast! antivirus, always kept updated, and it has been doing
a good job. But I wonder if a virus is hiding itself from view by
not letting users unhide files?

There are huge Windows XP groups with Microsoft MVPs and stuff.

FWIW. I suspect it has to do with operator rights, like whether you
are Administrator.

--
Are you a blissfully ignorant voter? Do you buy stuff made by
faceless workers you will never meet or even chat with on the