Old August 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
AJ

"Richard Hopkins" wrote in message ...
"AJ" wrote in message...
Is Clear Type glyph antialiasing in software?

Yes, although seeing as we're talking about non-graphics intensive usage, whether it's done in the GPU or by the CPU is a
slightly moot point.

Is hardware antialiasing better?

At end of day whether it's hardware or software is irrelevant, which looks better to *your* eyes? Personally I prefer
Microsoft's take to Matrox's.

Should I turn off Clear Type if I have a Matrox P650?

Try it both ways and see which your eyes prefer. That's all that really matters.

Antialiasing was the reason I was considering the P650 over the G450.
I'd rather have a PCI card than an AGP at this technology transitionary time.
Since ClearType is basically the same as Matrox's hardware antialiasing,
I don't think then the P650 is worth $80 more than the G450 (even if it is
twice as fast). Thanks for your comments.

AJ