Old September 8th 20, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Sentenced to be burnt by USB

Bought a Crucial 128G USB flashdrive, possibly for what a 256G SDD now
costs. Not that old, at least for me, but obviously not new. Four to
five years' of usage is the guess. Now there's intermittent
connection issues, repeatedly re-seating the drive until an access
light goes from long durations of faults cycling a couple or more
seconds, to short flashes 500ms or apart which are a normal indication
to a successful read.

Reformatting and refilling it, usually with a 32G - 64G (seldom
beyond), I usually work with, is what's left. Which I haven't yet
done on pessimistic suspicions, perhaps at some later point to attempt
if current accesses worsen. Errors exhibited irrespective to two
computers at four front USB ports, Crucial's drive connection would
appear faulty;- or near, just had a brown-out and the flashdrive began
cycling, physically undisturbed, into an error state after a BIOS
auto/reboot.

Half what I paid, maybe $15 for another 128G flashdrive replacement.
That would nice. That was the Crucial name and purposeful at the
time, for what its worth now in Crucial's failure/error cycles.

Two USBSSD adapters (as low as $5ea.?) hanging off a USB port for a
SSD to fill the function of a flashdrive is something that wasn't
around when I bought the Crucial. Then again, though I'm not
especially rough, I've yet to break a SSD interface through regular if
not quite daily hot-swaps. Nice to know, I suppose, when occurring to
be available for more pretty wires alternatively to dangle off USB
ports.

So far I've been real good at resisting the temptation to buy a USB
toothbrush.