Old December 17th 20, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default What's a good new 24"+ monitor or even a TV (smart & 4K R OK)?

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:20:08 -0600, NT (Ant) wrote:

What's a good new 24"+ monitor or even a TV (smart and 4K are OK, but
please no Roku since their RCs are awful without numbers for cable &
OTA inputs) for mostly computers (Internet, meetings, Office, etc.),
gaming, videos (locally and online), etc.? It will be placed on an
office desk. It also needs to have old VGA (DVI adapter if needed) and
HDMI. Composite and other old connections are OK. Budget isn't an
issue. Anything good from Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, etc. online and in
their So. CA stores? I'd like to buy it before this crazy year ends
too.

-
Check out 27" LG/HP, some others. 32" will even drop by a third or
more -- e.g. $350-ish, down or closer to $200. Point is, though I
personally haven't used a 27", I'd think it far better than 24". 32",
although large, also nice, whereas anything bigger may involve strain,
arm's-length away for possibly too high upward's-looking strain on the
neck and interference with a "natural gaze", that being a level look
that doesn't interrupt blinking, moistening the eyes nor not blinking
while staring upwards with dry eyes.

27" is more common to the IPS set, although IPS might mean 32" also
for a few with VGA accommodations. The spec sheet will need be
apprised. Text is important to me, which translates into reviews for
the so-called programmer crowd;- Some of regard lack to weigh in the
legibility dept. Gamers, however, to a degree may feel adequate to
means the former offers, which concurs more so with television
(streaming) to even a lesser degree for sufficiency received.
Longevity is also important, as some appear to have a reputation
(model longevity and a track record) for breaking all to hell in
short order. Specialty also diverges for multimedia (film streaming)
where details in the highest brights and darkest blacks may be lost by
lesser models.

The reviews are anyway more than adequate for an informed start,
although 4K and multi-synch is going to be different to a different
generation of video cards, not necessarily ill-featured features and
standards, than sadly semi-obsolete VGA and basic rock-solid
legibility or the perfunctory office task set.

With this being a better overall time sales, nor necessarily the
seasonal take, I'd hazard a $500 IPS monitor performance should be
within consideration of fewer concessions at quite the advantage among
competitive offerings by far at lower reductions.