Old June 29th 08, 12:43 PM posted to comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Robert Heller

Default What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

At Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:10:46 -0700 (PDT) raylopez99 wrote:

On Jun 28, 5:38=A0am, Robert Heller wrote:

I used a
200mhz Pentium Pro box at UMass until I was laid off in Nov of 2005 --
at the time I had the oldest and slowest desktop in the lab were I
worked -- a sort of point of pride -- I kept *refusing* newer boxes,
since I liked that old box -- it worked well and I was confortable with
it.

Uh, ok. But maybe that's why you were fired? (using old equipment)
Probably not, but the thought comes to mind.

I wasn't 'fired' -- I was laid off due to lack of funding.

Do you have a vote on a min hardware distro?

I already answered that: I have used CentOS (4) on some fairly old
hardware.

It's surprising how un-helpful Linux advocates are. Their main point--
and indeed only point--is not to waste bandwidth answering trolls.
Back in the days when bandwidth was limited and the Internet was
government owned, that was a good point, but no more; however, Linux
users are stuck in the past, still fighting the battle that was
settled by litigation 10+ years ago, that MSFT charges vendors for
Windows regardless of what OS is actually loaded...that is so, what,
1995?

BTW If you don't believe I am sincere, at least answer the questions
raised for the benefit of people Googling this issue in the future.

RL

-- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk