Old June 28th 08, 01:38 PM posted to comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Robert Heller

Default What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

At Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:26:01 +0100 Benjamin Gawert wrote:

* raylopez99:
I have not been able to get a straight answer to this, despite almost
a year of trying.

Maybe then this time you should take the time and at least check what
you really have? "...about 200 MHz clock, with about 500 MB RAM (or
maybe it's 225.." and "...It has a late 90s but
popular video card, forget the brand...." is worth nothing. There is no
PentiumII 200MHz, so either it is a Pentium 200 or a PentiumII with

Pentium Pros were available at 200mhz -- not labeled as PIIs, but were
686 processors and thus effectively PIIs in all but name. I'm guessing
that the OP has one of these (and the vintage is about right). I used a
200mhz Pentium Pro box at UMass until I was laid off in Nov of 2005 --
at the time I had the oldest and slowest desktop in the lab were I
worked -- a sort of point of pride -- I kept *refusing* newer boxes,
since I liked that old box -- it worked well and I was confortable with
it.

higher clock speed. If it's a Pentium then you won't have much fun
running Linux on it, too (except maybe for use as a router or file
server). Same about memory (exact size and type), the mainboard and also
the gfx card. You also want to check the gfx card because it won't give
you much fun if it's not supported by Linux.

Most *older* graphic cards are supported on some level. Graphics cards
that are supported are cheap -- almost any nVidia PCI or AGP card is
supported.

If you expect people to help you the least thing you can do is to
provide accurate details.

Benjamin

-- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk