Old September 10th 03, 05:38 AM
idunno

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:16:05 +0400, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
wrote:

Port replicators have done this type of thing very well long before
USB. They are also more robust devices designed especially for

easily

I disbelieve that on-the-knee-made port replicator (which violates

lots of
specs - PS/2 one for sure) can be _more robust_ then USB.

I think I was unclear. I just mean that the connector's tend to be
beefier. It usually isn't possible for a user to jiggle it when
inserting or removing. These connectors *should* last longer. There
is also no possibility of trying to insert it the wrong way (like a
USB port on the rear of a laptop) which is a little easier if you are
rushed.

Of course there are design compromises and many caveats when making
generalizations about proprietary solutions. Whether or not you find
them unsatisfactory, they have offered similar functionality as
discussed before USB was available.