Old September 10th 03, 01:33 AM
Eric Lee Green

In article , Peter da Silva ruminated:
In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
Without USB I need:

PS/2 hole for mouse.
Serial port for printer, handheld, and other serial devices.
Cardbus slot for Ethernet/Modem or SCSI or firewire.
PCMCIA-CF adapter.

and so on. With USB, all you need is a hub, and only if you have more then 2
devices to attach to the laptop.

With USB I need:

USB hole for mouse.

USB mouse.

Serial port for printer and other serial devices.

USB printer.

Cardbus slot for Ethernet/Modem or SCSI or firewire.

Ethernet, modem, firewire are built in.

PCMCIA-CF adapter.

???

And if I need to read DVDs or get online:

DVD-ROM built in.

New laptop with cardbus slot for ethernet/SCSI/firewire
because USB is still too frigging slow.

In reality, the only cardbus card that I use is an old 802.11b card
that I use for wireless networking. My printers all connect via USB.
I must admit that I do miss the serial port on my HP laptop, I work
with a lot of equipment that wants to be set up via a serial port.

--
Eric Lee Green
Linux/Unix Software Engineer seeks employment