Old September 28th 08, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Olcott

Default Can RAID Controllers act as non RAID controllers?

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "kony" typed:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:29:18 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
wrote:

A single-drive span is one that only has one member in
it,
is typically how a drive is used on any non-raid
controller.

I must keep the drives separate, yet not in any RAID
configuration. What I must end up with is drive letters
"C"
through "Z".

If the card supports 24 single drive spans, you would end
up
with drive letters C through Z. If the manual does not
make
both the factor of using single drive spans, AND
supporting
24 of them clear, contact the manufacturer.

Is this feature not what they call "JBOD" (Just a Bunch Of
Disks)?

I don't think so. I think that JBOD links the disks together
into a single virtual drive.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/...evels/jbod.htm

--
Shaun.