Old October 14th 05, 11:39 PM
NeuroPsyche

I too have 2 of these HD363n network devices and installed 200 gig
Maxtor IDE drives in both of them.
I experienced weird latency/delays when moving/copying/deleting files
from Windows based Os's. Both in Windows XP pro and Windows 2000
Pro.

I went to the mfgs web site, found a firmware update that was newer
than what was already installed and flashed the network drive
devices.

After the flash, nothing changed. I still have these really long
latency delays when moving files. I originally got these for media
storage devices for movies and songs. I was running out of space on
my computers and wanted to off-load some of the files. I started out
moving entire drives onto the HD363N devices over the 100TX Ethernet.
The files, while moving, actually gained in time thru the windows file
moving window. The files actually did move, but, as I said, it first
started out saying that it would take something like 60 minutes, then
it kepted on increasing, 80, 90, 100, etc.
I also ran into problems when moving files that it came back and said
the network device no longer exists on the network.

I have these devices hard-ip'd. Statically address and assigned on
the network. No conflicts. No problems on the network.

But, these 'appliances' do have a network communications problem,
definitely apparent when moving large files possibly greater then
1gig.
Most of my movie files are around 800meg - 2 gig. Per file. My mp3
files are standard size around 2-4 meg. The problems are more
apparenet when moving entire drives/directories/files into the HD363N
that contain around 100 Gig...

So, I know what your talking about.
The HD363N does have some problems. Enough for me to take them off
the network and make them dust collectors

BobValwrote:

I have just purchased a Argosy - HD363N Network Storage Enclosure
and
put in my Maxtor 200 gig drive.

This Enclosure connects to your router by RJ45 and allows adding
Network storage cheaply.

It supports Fat16, Fat32.

The problems I am having:

1) When the drive wakes up after being unsed for a while it does

not
allways connect properly and needs to be restarted.

2) I copied all the files I needed to the drive and have just used
applications that READ only from the drive but do not write and now

have files that are corrupted.

Is anyone using this Network Enclosure?
Are you having any of these problems?

Bob Valentino