Old November 1st 04, 05:02 AM
Tony Hill

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:48:31 GMT, "
wrote:

NVDA is limited not simply to AMD-based systems, but mostly to higher
end of the segment. While not sure about the statistics, I am under
impression that for each Athlon64 or high-end XP (Nforce targeted
segment) there is a number of Duron/Sempron/low-end XP sold, and these
tend to be paired with cheaper VIA/SIS chipsets.

Note that Intel's market share of chipsets was only a bit over 60%,
while their market share of processors is up around 85%, so obviously
there is a lot more at work here than simply VIA/SiS et al. making
AMD-supporting chipsets.

Of course, the question does remain, just where are these systems with
Intel processors and non-Intel chipsets? After a quick look through
HP and Dell's site I couldn't find a single desktop system with such a
setup (servers were a different story, but they used almost all
Serverworks stuff). Laptops might be one explanation, HP doesn't seem
to list what chipset their laptops use. For ATI, at least, I suspect
that a lot of their chipset market share came from laptop chipsets.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca