Old June 29th 18, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default HDD ratings

Flasherly wrote:

3T models were recently atrocious, past few years, whereas 2/4/6TB
weren't. Strangely eye-opening. I'd still want manufacturing drive
dates, model verification numbers, still, were I interested in a 3T
purchase.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...le-hard-drives

Think I've at least one 1.5T model, up there in the outer limits.

HGST, especially, Toshiba, WD, and Seagte have good representatives
among low failures. As well abysmal models to be found more or less
among all.

Although offhand I may not be seeing all the data charts and
abstracts, too lazy to pull up a more compliant browser, I did check
into some of the outstanding HGST stats from a retailer perspective.

You pay for those drives, maybe twice what WD or Seagates sells for
potentially x6-times higher failures. Enterprise, apart from an
actual accountability of the warranty, can seem as extra wrapping
paper for other than a shipping box with at least a sealed OEM bag and
serial no. the manufacturer can link to validate.

Depends. I don't mind paying less, something thereof, half for a
non-enterprise drive with a year to three less warranty
accountability.

White Drives, sold as, is another one on Ebay. The Weirdings. Coming
in from Thailand directly, rebadged for "White", off Hitachi, Seagate,
maybe WD facilities. Translation: "A" major manufacturer. One third
less, or $40 for 2T drives at a minimum norm, meaning accountably
warranted for a reasonable couple years, at $60. And others. Other
angles. Similar angles to be shafted when a 1-yr. warranty, if that,
is found a matter less than appreciably honorable. Among potentials
for other concerns.

Popular site and has an accompanying index, although it may not be
aggressive enough for bloody guts and cutting-edge update purposes.

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

Given my recent experience, I think I'll go back to hard drives from WD
in 1TB or 2TB size when I buy another one. I'm using my pc mainly for
web suring and email, so large storage is not critical. The one thing
that I might do to require larger storage would be playing around with
VM. It might be fun learning linux or programming without worrying
about messing up my RL pc :-) I could see making several VMs, and I
don't have any experience yet to guess how much disk space they would
need. Right now I have about 4TB hd between 2 drives (1TB and 3TB).

I'll probably buy another hd soon - external however for use as back
up. Wikipedia entries indicate that the longevity of the storage media
- CD, DVD, flash drive, SSD, hard drive, and so on - varies widely
depending on usage and physical storage. None of it matches paper
(thousands of years) but that's too cumbersome to use for back up :-)
I've got a number of music CDs approaching decades in age that I want
to keep backed up. They're backed up on hd, but only in two locations.
And I'm only just beginning to think about how to back up the RPG games
I bought in the late 90s and early 2000s that came packaged in CD and
DVD media. Those games required running them at the start of a game
session in a CD/DVD drive. Maybe the publishers will release codes to
bypass the CD/DVD requirement to play the game :-) Hah, fat chance,
LOL)

John