Old June 10th 18, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default Upgrading USB 2 to USB 3 ports on a computer case

Flasherly wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 07:18:02 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

I have an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB3 mobo.

Damn -- $359...

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-M4A89GTD.../dp/B003964KK8

If an older model for Amazon's hm, discretionary merchant-pricing
slots. ASUS calling it a Pro/USB3 is a little redundant. I figured
when I got a socket three, although Gigabyte and somewhat more dated
by present driver standards, is it was probably how things are just
done for USB3 convenience: you get USB3 stuck on the back-plane. Least
I did, two plus two, for the extra dedicated USB3 ports sandwiched
into thereabouts, alongside usual two USB2 ports adjacent the NetWerk
RJ45 connection.

Wow, you've got 12 USB2 (8-ports MID-board pin arrays), which is kind
of totally something. . .I guess. ...Firewire, cool - the "standard"
for sound recording gear for some time. Onboard graphics -- I like,
the way to go, at least for me.

But I only just paid $50 for the Gigabyte AM3 because the floor
dropped out on octal cores, a little while ago, due to Ryzen. A
low-wattage variant, primo -- octal bulldozer type, AKA .not. a
250-watt monstrosity, for an unheard-of $90 splurge, plus ensuring any
driver related issues are grandfathered in. ...Probably goes like a
duck into water in typical *nix box configs.

Offhand, a Phenom six-cores sounds conceivably older, maybe a year or
two, in the ASUS config. I can't believe, though, a build like that
would eat two HDD, DVD, and case fan. Outer Limits stuff.

Digging into PCs plain ain't done right if it ain't fun. And scared
don't count when it's out of bounds;- most rules fall under: if you
can pay then that's the ticket to play.

I can't say I'm surprised at Amazon's price, but I have a very low
opinion of their pricing on a lot of items anyway.

I bought my mobo back in 2010 or so. It was a lot less costly then :-)

IIRC, ASUS offered two similarly named mobos at the time when I bought
it; perhaps one was for the European market and one for the U.S. ??? -
shrug.

Regardless, my mobo has held up well over the years and still does what
I want it to do. Where it shows its age is wrt new tech. Data
transfer speed is something I like, so it'd be nice to have USB 3.1
capability. And I seem to recall reading something about similar
progress for SATA transfer speeds. My mobo of course handles USB 3.0,
not the newer USB 3.1.

In retrospect, the mobo is probably not a good match with the case
because the PSU is located on the bottom. The mobo has two slots for a
graphics card. I tried the suggestion to move the graphics card to the
other slot in order to make the PCI-e slots accessible. Doing so freed
up access to the PCI-e slots but created what seems to me a different
problem - the graphics card was immediately above the fan of the PSU.
There was a narrow gap between the card and the PSU. I was worried
that the flow of the air from the PSU would overheat the graphics card
- the PSU fan and the graphics card's fan faced other directly - so I
placed the card back to where I had it to begin with.

John