Old December 31st 03, 10:40 PM
Dom Powell

[Snippage: the 4200 was a damn fine card, and in a better world still be
produced and sold at around $50.00 as a budget option.]

So is the Ti4200 still worth what it's selling for (when it's available)?
US$75.00 - $85.00?

I don't think I've heard a bad thing about it, and it seems to be ideal for
what I'm looking
for. I do light gaming on an older machine, and I tend not to buy anything
(software or hardware) when it first comes out, preferring to wait for
positive reviews and the prices to drop. Overall, I'm at least a year --
more like 2 -- behind the curve in every respect. One of the benefits of
this strategy (apart from general health of wallet) is that I can take my
time assessing things before buying them. One of the drawbacks is that this
market moves so freakin' fast that it's easy to miss the best windows as
they open and close.

I really like what I've seen and heard about the 4200, and I'm worried that
the price is going to start spiking as the things become scarcer. But I
don't want to buy if it's going to be hopelessly obsolete -- or if the price
of the newer cards (say the 5600 Ultra) is set to start dropping
precipitously. What are the odds that it'll be compatible with a new(ish)
motherboard 12 months from now?

Opinions?

Dom "Ditherer" Powell