Old January 18th 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Rich Bunevitch

Default Compaq Presario 5330US Power Supply Replacement

Hi,

A friend of mine wants to replace the 235W power supply in his Compaq
Presario 5330US so he can upgrade the video card to play the latest
games. I took an Antec Earthwatts 380W ATX12V, V2.2 supply to his
house last night but was reluctant to install it after removing the 24
pin P/S connector from the motherboard.

Although both connectors appear to be physically identical, a few of
the wires were different colors (+3.3V?) and each connector has 1 wire
not connected, but they were different wires. The Antec is missing the
-5V line. I can't remember which wire was missing on the original P/S
but it was on the other side of the connector so I think it was either
the Power Good or +5V Standby line.

I didn't remove the original P/S from the case so I'm not sure if the
physical dimensions of the supplies match, either.

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if I can safely replace
the existing P/S with the Antec and not have to worry about the system
going up in smoke when its powered on.