Old May 31st 04, 04:30 PM
Ben Myers

Yes, the Compaq computers, especially Presarios, have their own special
proprietary front panel connectors. Now that you've replaced the motherboard
and power supply with industry-standard ones, you would be ahead of the game
replacing the chassis, too. A chassis with provision for standard USB ports in
front is not too expensive. And I would assume that the MSI motherboard has a
USB connector on it? ... Ben Myers

On Sun, 30 May 2004 08:09:05 -0400, wrote:

Some months back I replaced the failed mobo and PS in my Compaq 5005CL
with an MSI mobo and Enermax PS. I was unable to connect the front
USB connectors to the mobo because the - presumably unique - Compaq
cable did not fit the MSI mobo. I thought I could live with it, but
now would like to have easier access to the USB.

The mobo end of the cable to the front panel is a molded connector, so
I'd need a new cable and reconnection to the front connectors. That
would require removing the drives and probably the mobo and PS so I
can remove the drives...

Before I strip the case to have a look at the front connections, does
anyone have successful experience with this? For example, how is the
cable attached at the front panel?

Alternatives, of course, would be a USB hub which would add to my desk
clutter or a new case, which I am considering.

Thanks for sharing your experience and your suggestions.

Chas,