Old August 21st 15, 01:40 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

Default printer driver driver

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Wed, 19 Aug 2015 15:08:06
+0100, Peter wrote:

On 18/08/2015 17:43, Good Guy wrote:
On 18/08/2015 13:06, micky wrote:
Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Of course there are people writing drivers for old printers for new OS.
The only problem is that they have over-advertised themselves and so
people are wary of them. They stick their Ad in almost anything, even
in articles when you focus on a particular word, something pops up.
People have said enough is enough and so they just ignore them.

Do a search and you will find lots of them but be careful about them.
Some are good and some are pure evil. they will take you and your bank
to cleaners.

Interesting thought, but I'm still using a printer that I bought in the
middle of Windows 98. Works fine in 8.1, and even behaved under 10,
though I upgraded back to 8.1 pretty quickly (another story). It's HP
Deskjet3845

You still have a parallel port, or was there USB already then?