Old August 20th 15, 03:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Gernot Hassenpflug[_4_]

Default printer driver driver

micky writes:

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Wed, 19 Aug 2015 17:32:31
+0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

micky writes:

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 23:26:22
+0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:
[things that let old hardware run under new versions of Windows]

/../

The SANE project to which I contributed in the past mostly for Canon
devices, has most of the capabilities of VueScan, but OCR is not part of
the project,

Can't one use separate OCR software?

(I've always wanted to OCR something but in fact I never have a need for
it.)

Of course, it is entirely a non-issue, I merely added that statement to
highlight a difference to (apparently) VueScan.

/../

Gutenprint tries to handle all linux and MacOSX versions as far back as
possible, but because of the idiosyncracies of MacOSX, support for 10.2,
then 10.3 and 10.4, and finally 10.5 had to be dropped, and the latest
version requires 10.6 or later.

Well I hope the old versions are still available, and even my friend has
upgraded to 10.6, for other reasons.

Sure, older versions (obviously with less printer support) of gutenprint
are available (and always will be, as long as the software continues to
have a place on the web). The trouble comes when people want to use a
new printer with their old MacOSX, this is simply not possible (a
backport for specific printers is possible in some cases, but ovbiously
not feasible to maintain).
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7