Old August 22nd 04, 11:44 AM
Tom Scales

"Boenospam" wrote in message
m...
Thanks HH. It also seems like Compaq is not offering a BIOS upgrade to
this system that does support LBA .

1. So what if I upgrade to XP - does that have native 48 bit LBA
regardless of my BIOS or IDE controller?

No

2. It appears that Seagate offers this DDO (Dynamic Drive Overlay). From
what I can best tell, it gets around the lack of LBA support in the BIOS,
but I'm still confused about the Win ME OS in this case. Any ideas?

Works, slowly

3. Would buying a ATA PCI controller card fix the problem for LBA support
without any other changes?

Yes

HH wrote:

I doubt a Jan 2001 release PC would have the necessary 48-bit LBA to
allow
installation of a drive larger than 127GB, not 137GB, as you noted.
You're
probably limited to the 120GB drives.
HH

"Boenospam" wrote in message
m...

to a 7000US system and of course get the full 160Gb (beyond the 137Gb 37
bit limit)? I understand a system needs to have LBA Addressing support,
but I cannot determine if mine has that or not. I've looked at all the
diagnostic reporting tools I could find and went through all the BIOS
settings and displays, but nothing.

Also, if I can get the hardware to recognize it, will WinME handle it
with FAT32? If not, what XP file system should I be looking at?