Old September 26th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Anon

Default Compaq mis-selling.....V5000 series: 'Consumer IR' port specified but not usable?

I recently bought a Compaq V5102NR laptop. The specifications are
listed here :

http://tinyurl.com/h88zs

This is a SPECIFC specification sheet for the V5102NR i.e. it doesn't
include 'optional' devices or enhancements. It specifically mentions
'1 Consumer IR' port . I've been unable to find any evidence that such
a port exists on this model. There's no mention of it under the '
Device Manager' in Win XP and there are no devices in there that are
unaccounted for.

I had a a long 'online' chat with a HP/Compaq support representive but
after an hour of effort, she couldn't even tell me definitively
whether or not the device is actually present or whether the
specification sheet has a misprint.

Does anyone know if the Compaq V5000 series (and/or specifically the
V5102NR) has an IR port? If it has then how can I get it to work.
Should it appear in the 'Device Manager'. Is there a driver I can
download (no mention of an IR device driver on the Compaq driver
web-page for this model)?

Thanks

Michael