Old June 17th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
John Jordan

Default Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I havethe right stick?

lordy wrote:

I think sides != ranks. Rank is the important thing. Sides is not so
relevant. Happy to be corrected.

Ranks is the least ambiguous, but then most people don't seem to know
what it means. The AMD docs use ranks, but the motherboard manual
writers translate this to sides. The Intel docs use ranks, sides and
banks interchangeably, which is bizarre because "banks" has another
meaning for SDRAM.

Usually sides == ranks, with the main exception being those cheap "high
density" sticks on eBay. These have chips on both sides but only one
rank. Registered memory usually has the same organisation.

A chunk of AMD's S939 table for completeness:

max speed
slot1 slot2 1T 2T

single rank none 400 400
double rank none 400 400