Old June 17th 07, 04:54 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
lordy

Default Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I have the right stick?

On 2007-06-17, John Jordan wrote:
Conor wrote:

Well when you're building systems, you only need to build a handful and
have all the problems generic RAM from Scan/Aria/et al seem to always
have and you'll buy Crucial every time. Generic RAM either doesn't work
or fails within 12-18 months - most of that is because the cheaper
stuff uses chips recovered from faulty DIMMS in manufacture.

Crucial RAM is NOT that much more than generic. It's certainly within a
couple of quid and if you're just buying RAM, then the lack of a £6.95
+VAT postage charge makes it cheaper.

Crucial charge 50 quid atm for a 1GB PC3200 stick compared to ~35 quid
for an unbranded stick, so I guess it's tempting. I've been through the
generic RAM business though, and I agree that it's not worth it.

Other branded memory at least doesn't have the cell and PCB faults of
generic memory, but Crucial has better single-stick compatibility IME
than Corsair, Kingston or OCZ.

I picked some up for 42 new from funkygiraffe on ebay.
Also got some second hand ones fine. As long as you look for Low Density
in the description or get a full Chip/Stick code and look it up
yourself.
Then do a FULL memtest (1G sticks tend to be CL3) before booting your real
OS.
Then if thats OK run prime95 Torture Test for about 30 minutes.

Lordy