Old May 15th 04, 03:09 AM
Rob

"Larry" wrote:

All,

I recently purchased a Samsung ML-2151N Network Laser Printer. I've printed
close to 1000 pages, nearly all duplexed, and it has performed flawlessly.

However it became clear early on that, especially with duplexing enabled,
the standard 16MB of RAM was not going to cut it. There were long delays
between pages as it rendered the next one.

I purchased the appropriate 128MB memory upgrade from SimpleTech. Their
part number S128N3NDC1. This is the module called out in their Memory
Locator on their web site.

The memory was installed, works fine, and the intended result is apparant.
The printer prints at full speed with zero delays for rendering between
pages, even when using the duplexer.

There is one minor problem. The printer is reporting the Module as a 256MB
module instead of a 128MB module. It shows 272MB installed instead of the
proper 144MB.

The module is positively a 128MB module. No mistakes there.

I wrote SimpleTech's Tech Support and got, well, simple (and useless)

The first response basically said 'Yeah, we've seen that before' and then
the email ENDED!

I wrote back asking what I should do.

Their second response was basically 'Just use it, the incorrect reporting
won't affect the performance of the memory'.

Sheesh

I've written Samsungs tech support. Not sure how long it will take to get a
reply.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

The printer is working perfectly. I've seen no ill-effects, but you can
understand why this bugs me. I've been in the computer/electronics repair
business for 25 years and this sort of thing just doesn't sit well with me.
There HAS to be a reason why this is happening and I want to know what it is

Other than this issue, the printer has performed flawlessly. I shopped
around quite a bit, and no one else could touch the value. 21PPM, automatic
duplexing standard, postscript standard, 500 sheet tray + 150 sheet tray for
$449 is a steal compared to the others.

Yes, the manuals suck and it was a BEAR to figure out how to set up on a Mac
I've got on the Network because of the poor documentation, but once past
that there have been zero issues.

Thanks -Larry

Do you use PostScript? I do so I'm interested in the quality of
Samsung's emulation.

Rob