Old March 29th 16, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Default Tired of hot processor on P9X79

The saga continues:

When I built a new computer around an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo back in 2007, I
acquired a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V which I assumed
would meet my needs forever because as we all know, computer components
never get outdated. And then when I built a new system around an Asus
P9X79, I found my good old PS continued to meet my needs. And now I've
added a Kraken X61 to the mix, along with a Silverstone USB 3.0 internal
card, and at first all seemed well. But then I decided that with all
this extra cooling capacity, maybe it was time to see what my P9X79
could do if I overclocked it. So then I installed the Asus AI Suite II
and told it to overclock things as it best saw fit. And then I started
getting occasional voltage warnings in the lower right corner of my
screen. Seldom the same warnings -- sometimes voltage 5.0 something,
sometimes 3.something ... like this:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

https://goo.gl/iGE3IK

Well that's no good, so I told AI Suite II to stop doing what it was
doing, and after a few scary reboots in which the system told me
overclocking had failed and I needed to go into BIOS and do something
without explaining exactly what I should do, things seemed to get back
to normal. But no...still, occasionally, I get a warning like the one
above, even though I think I've reset BIOS to the way it was before AI
II and the Kraken installation.

Every suggestion I've Googled ends up saying my PS is no good. My
wonderful PC Power and Cooling power supply from 2007? That power
supply is no good? Just because I've recently hung some new fans, a
pump, and a USB 3.0 card off it? My faithful PS has finally met its
match? Really? I actually need a power supply better than the one I
have? You think?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog