Old October 9th 03, 05:48 AM
Tony Hill

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:38:14 GMT,
(George Macdonald) wrote:
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:49:02 GMT, Tony Hill
wrote:
In Mozilla there is a setting of "Do Not Load Remote Images in Mail
and Newsgroup Messages" (in the Privacy - Images section) which will
prevent the use of tracking images.

Yeah I turn it on and off as I need - kinda like the pop-up thing which has
to be on for some services now... like bank sites. Annoying when I forget
to turn them back off again.:-)

Hehe, I've run into the same thing, though fortunately not often! My
advice, just add any frequently used ones to your list of domains that
are allowed to use pop-ups.

Any real legitimate messages send
with a link to a remote image will get messed up a bit too, but those
are pretty rare in my experience. Remote images are pretty much
exclusively a spammer thing.

I'm seeing more of the remote images in non-spam, e.g. in some of the
services, like photo posting sites.

I haven't encountered that yet, the photo-posting sites I've seen just
give me a link to the photo-host. Of course, I don't get those very
often, most of the time if I get a message it's actually sent along
with the e-mail.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca